You: I am a business major who comes from a family who has a business of their own along with being surrounded by fellow entrepreneurs. I have seen the set of skills it takes to start and run a business successfully. I see the business of selling biodegradable plastic straws being time-consuming and difficult at the start, but once taken off, it'll be easy. The hardest part will be to become relevant. I see it becoming easily a full-time job along with school which would be hard to manage.
What are you offering to customers: Consumers who eat out at public restaurants or fast food places desire a better option than paper straws. My product, being environmentally friendly yet durable solves the environmental issue and durability issue.
Who are you offering it to? I would offer it to food establishments in Gainesville than expand further as time goes, and people who care about the environment. My customers need a straw that is better than paper straws.
Why do they care? Paper straws do not work well with smoothies and milkshakes and are flimsy and break. They also have a weird texture. Plant-based biodegradable straws would fix those issues. They will pay for a better experience for their customers or environmentalists will pay for a straw that's stronger and good for the environment.
What are your core competencies? I offer a superior straw. One that has the same benefits as paper straws yet more. Being durable is important and it is no surprise paper straws are weak and inferior.
I think my 5 elements fit very well together. I feel as most people think paper straws are not a good substitution in a durability aspect. It is hard for companies to find a good paper straw. I think it would be easy to capitalize on the need of all these businesses in Gainesville have. A county ban is serious and it will only be soon enough that other places ban plastic straws. I think we can move to a better future without risking anything.
Garrett,
ReplyDeleteYour business is one that I sure would love to see implemented. It would be hard to come up with some type of easily made cheap alternative for plastic straws. The ones already out there are expensive, and therefore we are now in this struggle against the terrible paper straw! I liked the fact you mentioned your family are entrepreneurs, that shows your roots and your knowledge of starting a business, which gives you credibility.