Friday, February 7, 2020

7A Testing Hypothesis

1) I have heavily repeated myself on the idea of replacing paper straws with biodegradable plastic straws. I firmly believe this is a better future for us because of durability and still offers the benefits of paper straws by being good for the environment.

2)

Who: Fast Food companies, Restaurants, People who care about the environment, and people who eat out.

What: People are fairly upset with paper straws. They are not durable and feel weird to drink from and also break apart. Which results in people drinking paper bits.

Why: Better Alternative to paper straws and to keep people happier. A way to create competition in the market where regular plastic straws are banned. Gain market share.

3)

Testing the who: It is fairly easy to test the who. I would ask fast food places, restaurants and customers if they are happy with paper straws. Gaining feedback is key but I think most people are unsatisfied with paper straws.

Testing the what: I would ask customers who use paper straws and ask how they like them and if they would be open to trying plastic biodegradable straws. I've found a lot of people to be upset with paper straws as the only straw to use.

Testing the why: Some people may still like to use paper straws. I firmly believe that most would switch to biodegradable plastic just because it would be more durable. The only thing that'd really would hinder the change is the price.

4)
Interview 1)

  • Does not like the feel of paper straws
  • They do not last long
  • They are smaller than plastic straws
  • Keep food on them

Interview 2)

  • They dissolve in to-go cups, can't sit too long
  • Not good for smoothies
  • Plastic is stronger
Interview 3)
  • Cares about the environment and sees biodegradable as the better option
  • Would buy them for their restaurant if they are not too expensive
  • A big complaint from customers
Interview 4)
  • Does not care about the environment
  • Mad about the plastic straw ban
  • Hates paper straws because they are awful to suck on once wet
Interview 5)
  • Does not see a problem with paper straws
  • still open to other alternatives
  • Just wants a healthy environment
5) Summary: After conducting the interviews, I found most people do not like paper straws or just do it for the environment. Biodegradable straws offer both benefits while not risking any flaws. I never thought about paper straws in smoothies or any other type of thick liquid. I think competition is always good in the market and if I do not do it, someone else will.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Garrett,
    I think your idea about biodegradable straws is great. In Gainesville at the moment, people are struggling to adapt to the new city ordinance. The paper straw solution is not practical, nor effective. Companies are still using Styrofoam and plastic cups, which contribute significantly more waste than straws. Furthermore, consumers are not satisfied with the straws, resulting in a straw business decline for manufacturers in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Garrett,
    I really like your idea to replace the paper straw in Gainesville with biodegradable plastic ones. I work the summers on the beach as a lifeguard and can see the awful tragedies that regular plastic can wreak on in a natural environment. At the same time, nobody actually like to drink out of a straw that slowly becomes worse and worse as time goes on. I think your idea is a great solution.

    ReplyDelete