Friday, February 7, 2020

8A The Solution

1) The opportunity arose when Alachua county banned plastic straws because they are bad for the environment. Companies chose paper straws because it was their only choice. Bringing more options to the table would let companies figure out which represents their values along with their customer's values better. It is common people are unhappy with the change and money could be made with a better alternative.

2)  The solution to the opportunity is biodegradable straws. I have been repetitive about this idea only because I think it speaks for most when I say that paper straws are not the future. Biodegradable straws are stronger, feel like what we are accustomed too, and environmentally friendly. The hardest part would be making the product unless it is already made and serve as a middle man and sell to all these big corporate companies. If one company bites, it will be easier to persuade others.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Garrett,
    I liked your post a lot because you discussed the new plastic straw ban in Gainesville. I do not think that paper straws are the correct alternative to plastic straws because paper straws are about as useful as a lead lifejacket. I think that biodegradable straws are a great idea and I also think that the ban on plastic straws should have been delayed until a suitable alternative was put in place. I am very interested to see what solutions to this problem come in the next months or years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Garrett,
    Your solution for the paper straw problem seems to be very logical. A product that is in compliance with the ordinance and also preferential to consumers. With that said, I have seen them used at the chickfila in midtown. However, shortly after they were introduced, they were discontinued by the fast food restaurant. This may be a result of high costs or limited production.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up Garrett,
    I think this proposed solution is a great one for the problem at hand. It is definitely a problem that plastic straws invade and hurt natural environments and ecosystems, but paper straws are just not a good substitute. Biodegradable plastic straws are a perfect solution to this! Finding someone with the money for this however would be the biggest problem, but Im sure some investors would be willing to do so.

    ReplyDelete