Friday, February 14, 2020

9A Testing the hypothesis

Who? Throughout my past couple of assignments, I have talked about the idea of replacing paper straws with biodegradable ones and firmly believe that people and companies need to adopt them. The who are people and companies who are either environmentally friendly or forced not to use plastic straws. The reason there is such a big market in Alachua county is because of the plastic straw ban.

I took 5 new interviews and found that 4 of the 5 had a need and want to change while the other one did not care to change but was open to it. I have found it to be a common complaint among other students and companies that these paper straws are truly not a good substitute for paper straws. In every interview, people agreed that it is a step toward being environmentally friendly but was not the product they wanted to replace plastic straws. A product that would be both environmentally friendly and just as strong as plastic straws would be biodegradable ones. It lets people drink frozen drinks while also not being uncomfortable to drink from.

What? Is there a need for biodegradable straws? I firmly believe there is. With all these restaurants in Gainesville and people who want better straws. There is a clear business for it. It just comes down to finding the right customers who are willing to pay more for a better product. The majority of the interviews expressed the want for a better straw.

Why? The need is there because people can not leave paper straws in drinks too long or drink thick cold beverages. Smoothies, for example, are almost unbearable and it ruins the experience in my opinion. I think people who want the straws along with those who do not see the need to change will both benefit.



 Inside

Who is in: 4 of the 5 people who I interviewed. Food establishments and people who care about the environment.

What the need is: A better substitute for paper straws but one that is good for the environment.

Why the need exists: Comfortability, long-lasting, stronger, and can be used in frozen drinks.

Outside

Who is out: 1 interview person and others who do not care about the environment.

What the need is not: Why be biodegradable when plastic or paper is just fine. Preference basically.

Alternative explanations: May not see the need to switch from paper straws or plastic ones. But I feel as if they would not be against it. Just no need.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Garrett, I think your idea is a good one and one especially relateable to people in Gainesville because of Gainesville's new policy only allowing paper straws. Because of this, everyone I have talked to hates paper straws, regardless if they have an effect on the environment or not. A straw that is biodegradable and functional would be a great product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Garrett! I think that after completing this process of deciding who is in and outside of the boundaries of your solution, your solution is still valid. Plastic constantly degrades what little we have left of our natural environments, and paper straws result in dissatisfied customers. I also think that people to like paper straws could have been added to those outside the bounds, however small that group may be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garrett,
    I agree with the people who want the better substitute for the paper straws, Yes I agree the plastic straws are a step in the right direction for the plastic issue throughout the world. Although, I think they should have came up with an alternative before they placed this ban because like your interviewees said, frozen drinks just are impossible to drink now! and we live in Florida!

    ReplyDelete