Friday, March 13, 2020

15A – Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2

Alternative Evaluation: From my interviews, I conducted that most people pick biodegradable plastic straws over paper straws but big corporations have paper straws. They use paper straws because they are more common and cheaper. They are cheaper but the quality is also worse. People who buy their own straws would prefer biodegradable straws.

How/Where do they buy?: Big corporations buy from distributors and casual consumers buy from stores and online websites. Corporations are driven by cost while average buyers choose what fits them best.

Post-Purchase Evaluation: Companies want to cut costs and work with local laws. They want to appeal to others and use paper straws. Most do not care about quality. Casual buyers want something good for the environment that offers quality. Paper straws are inferior.

Interview #1 - Personally dislikes paper straws but uses them because of corporations buying paper straws and using them in restaurants. Likes higher quality straws.

Interview #2- Personally is not affected by the plastic straw bans. They do not use straws. Mostly just sip from the cup.

Interview #3- Absolutely hates using paper straws. Would not go out of their way to buy biodegradable plastic straws but rather have big corporate restaurants use them as they are stronger and better. 

Conclusion: The biggest influence on what straws people use is cost and how it affects the environment. Biodegradable straws have a market but not everyone will buy them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Garrett,

    I can sympathize with you and two thirds of those you interviewed. I personally hate using straws, and am constantly using my metal straws at home. When going out to eat, after work for example, I get my food, drink and paper straw. I end up using it only for it to fold over its wet self halfway through its projected life time. I still have half a cup of drink, yet no more straw. Biodegradable straws would help immensely.

    ReplyDelete